Vagabundos del Mar - A Travel Club for Baja Travelers & More...
Contact Info for Vagabundos del Mar
5th Annual Vagabundo, Ralph “Padre” Lucas Yellowtail Tournament June 27-29, 2013
We’re returning to Bahia de Los Angeles (BOLA) for the 5th Annual Padre Lucas Fishing Tournament, held in honor of Vagabundo “Padre Lucas”, one of the original yellowtail fishermen and legend of the area. Padre held the first Vagabundos del Mar, Yellowtail Tournament in 1974 out of the Papa Diaz Hotel. The first Tournament was held over Memorial Day.
Mama Diaz would charge $4 per person for rice, beans and margaritas. If you wanted to get on her good side you would bring her candy, motrin and cheese as gifts. She would always ask Padre to taste the clay bowl of margaritas and he would always say, “More tequila!”
BOLA now has two Pemex stations and electricity. There are many places to camp and stay plus outstanding fishing this time of year. Google “bahiadelosangeles.info” for the local website information.
Proceeds from the Tournament will benefit the Centro de Salud de Bahia de Los Angeles, the local clinic, with supplies. If you are interested in donating to the clinic, we have a list of needs or just bring common medical supplies.
To get on the Tournament list call the Vagabundo del Mar Office at (800) 474-2252 or for questions email Leader Jay Hammer (a Vag Ambassador-at-Large) at email@example.com.
1. The three day Tournament is for yellowtail and other sport fish; excluding sharks, rays, billfish (marlin, sailfish, etc.), squid, and other non-sport fish.
2. Tournament headquarters is Casa Diaz. For more local information go to bahiadelosangeles.info which has accommodations, guides, etc. You may dry camp at Casa Diaz.
3. Jay is the Tournament Director, will interpret rules and has the sole responsibility of awards.
4. The entry fee is $25 to participate. Anyone may enter the Tournament.
5. Entry into the Tournament is when you sign up prior to the first day. You may sign up ahead of time at the Vag Office (800) 474-2252 or in BOLA at Casa Diaz, Guillermo’s or with Jay. If you provide an email or address after the Tournament you will receive complete results and information for next year’s Tournament. Results will be posted on the bahiadelosangeles.info website and published in the Chubasco and the Vagabundos website www.vagabundos.com.
6. Fish must be on the beach, at Casa Diaz weigh scales, no later than 3 p.m. each day.
7. Each angler may weigh two yellowtail and two other sport fish. The heaviest fish in each category will be the angler’s entry for that day. One fish in each category will get one award each day. Results will be posted at Casa Diaz and Guillermo’s later that day.
8. Each angler must have a Mexican fishing license (available at Vag Office) and follow Mexican Sportfishing laws.
9. There will be three awards for each category each day. There will be a Grand Champion, determined by the combined weight of the anglers best yellowtail and best other sport fish for the three days. The winner will receive the “Gran Copa de Margarita”. In the event of a tie, the largest yellowtail will prevail. The Awards Banquet will be at Guillermo’s Saturday night at 6 p.m.
Loreto Dorado Tournament - June 30 - July 2 2013
Tournament headquarters will be again the grand Oasis Hotel which did a great job. The two-day Tournament last July was a huge success. Beautiful Loreto is the site of this long-time Vag Tournament that usually captures during this time frame the largest dorado in the season for the June-July period.
Registration and orientation will be on Sunday, June 30, 5Â p.m. at the Oasis. Rules will be available then.Â There will be raffles and great prizes. The Awards Banquet will be on Tuesday evening. This is a fun Tournament in which family participation is encouraged. The fish weigh-in station will be at the Oasis at 2 p.m. for fish from Loreto, or 3 p.m. for those bringing fish in from Puerto Escondido/Juncalito. For those guys/ladies who are not fishing or not fishing every day, we would appreciate your help at the weigh-in, registration, photos or other tasks. A super group of volunteers stepped up last time who made a real difference - Solveig Franklin, Jutta Barnett, Don and Karen Brown, and Bob Lane.
The Oasis is a premiere Loreto traditional hotel with quiet ocean front rooms, tropical gardens, many spacious areas for parking, and an acclaimed restaurant. For reservations you can contact them at -- toll free: U.S. - 1-866-482-0247; Mexico - 613-135-0211; Fax - 613-135-0795. There will be special rates for rooms and for fishing. If you are interested in traveling down with a group or need a buddy on the road, check with Vag HQ or sign up on the Travel Buddies Calendar (TBC) at http://www.vagabundos.com/TBC.html. There are great reviews from members using the TBC.
Call Vag HQ at 800-474-2252 to sign up and pay the fee. The registration fee is $120 per boat. If you pre-register at the office you will be entered into a special drawing. Proceeds will be donated to a local non-profit organization. Contact Coordinator Paulette Gochie at firstname.lastname@example.org.