Sunday May 28 2023

Posted by BajaInsider on April 29, 2015
  • A Passport will be required to return to the United States after your visit to Mexico
    A Passport will be required to return to the United States after your visit to Mexico

What you should do if your passport is lost or stolen while abroad:

Losing or having a passport stolen can be a very unsettling thing. However, it doesn’t have to ruin your trip! Here are some guidelines on how to replace a missing U.S. passport while abroad.

Step 1: Report the missing passport
Report your missing passport immediately. This is the crucial first step in replacing your lost or stolen passport. Call the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778. You will be asked to fill out the form "DS-64":, which will validate your claim.

If you are overseas and misplace your passport, contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate. 

Step 2: Fill out form DS-11
Begin the replacement process by completing the Application for Passport, Form "DS-11": This form can be found online by going to the U.S. State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs website. 

Step 3: Turn in the form
Print the DS-11 and take it to the nearest acceptance facility or passport agency. Do not sign the form until you are at the facility. 

Step 4: Bring identification
Bring your DS-11, as well as a previously issued U.S. passport, a certified birth certificate, a naturalization certificate, certificate of citizenship, or current government-issued ID to the acceptance facility or passport agency

Step 5: Photocopy the ID
Photocopy both sides of your photo ID on an 8½-by-11-inch piece of paper, and bring that along with your other information.

Step 6: Pay the fee
Pay the passport fee. Fees are subject to change, but you can expect to pay at least $95, plus a $25 execution fee. 

Call the facility to find out the acceptable methods of payment. Some accept credit cards and other don’t.

Step 7: Bring photos
Bring two identical 2-by-2-inch color photographs of yourself. The guidelines are very strict, so it’s best to have someone who takes passport photos do the job. 

Step 8: Wait for delivery
Routine 4-6 weeks,
Expedited 3 weeks,
Expedited at Agency +8 business days*
*Based on need; restrictions apply

You may go to for additional information

Passports Required for all Mexico Air Travel
(see Passport Requirements)

The Departments of Homeland Security and State formally enacted the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative. The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative requires all U.S. citizens, citizens of the British Overseas Territory of Bermuda, and citizens of Canada and Mexico to have a passport or other accepted secure document that establishes the bearer’s identity and nationality to enter or re-enter the United States by air as of January 20, 2007. 

The Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 mandated that the Secretary of Homeland

Security, in consultation with the Secretary of State, develop and implement a plan to require U.S. citizens and foreign nationals to present a passport, or other secure document when entering the United States.

In the proposed implementation plan, the Initiative will be rolled out in phases, providing as much advance

notice as possible to the affected public to enable them to meet the terms of the new guidelines. The proposed timeline will be as follows:

January 20, 2007 – Requirement applied to all air and sea travel to or from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.

December 31, 2008 – Immigration and US Customs may no longer accept verbal declaration of nationality for land and sea entrance. There is a listing of acceptable documents here.

For more information on:

Lost or Stolen Passport click here
Obtaining a passport click here
Expedited Passport Service
Consulate information click here
Warnings and advisories click here



All content and images
The Original Online Magazine fore Traveling & Living in Baja

About the BajaInsider