Clark Waters is a Chef for hire, serving up culinary delights from Cabo San Lucas to La Paz. Experienced in providing catering services on both land and sea, Clark can assist you with your event planning for parties from two to hundreds of guests. This recipe is from Clarks collections of Baja tastes...
Here is a nice classic dish with a twist for us who choose to stay here in Baja California when the weather is hottttt!!!!
Clark Waters' Famous Citrus Shellfish Ceviche with a Smokey Red Pepper Sauce and Fried Tortillas.
For the ceviche
1. 1/2lb of med shrimp peeled & deveined
2. 1/2lb of bay scallops
3. 2 cups fresh lime juice
4.1/2 cup clam juice
5. 1/4 cup smokey red pepper sauce [ see below]
6. 1 yellow bell pepper roasted, peeled, seeded, & diced
7. 1 poblano pepper roasted, peeled, seeded, & diced
8. 1/4 cup chopped red onion
9. 1 orange, 1 lemon, [if availible], 1 lime segmented & chopped
10. 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
For the tortillas
1. 2 cups canola oil
2. 2 large tortillas cut in to sixths
3. salt to taste
Smokey Red Pepper Sauce
1. 1 red bell pepper roasted, seeded, diced
2 2 tbl. chopped red onion
3. 1 tbs. chipotle puree
4. 2 tbs. limejuice
5. 1/4 cup olive oil
6. 1 tbl. honey
7. Salt & pepper to taste
Let's start cooking:
1. Bring a med. saucepan filled with salted water to a boil & a bowl with ice water aside. Blanch the shrimp [only] for 30 seconds and quickly transfer to ice water to stop the cooking; drain & put aside
2. Place blanched shrimp and raw scallops in med bowl add lime juice and let marinade in the refrigerator for 2 hrs min.
3. For the Red Pepper sauce, combine ingredients in a food processor, blend until smooth. Put into fridge to chill.
4. Heat oil and deep fry tortilla wedges at 360°F (med-hi) until golden brown; salt and set aside. Serve at room temperature.
5. Take shellfish out of frig and drain, Now, whisk together red pepper sauce and clam juice until thoroughly combined and add to shellfish mixture; add the peppers, onion, citrus, & cilantro and gently mix to combine; serve in small bowls with fried tortilla wedges.
Great with a chilled white wine or frosty cerveza!
CLARK'S COOKING CLUE: Always remember, when dealing with any recipe you can always add a bit more, but you can't always take a bit back out.